Friday, January 4, 2013

Week One, Day One: A Learning Experience

Last night, I completed week one, day one of the Couch to 5K Running Program. For those of you who don't know, the program helps you train in about 9-10 weeks for a 5K by building stamina and endurance, instead of focusing on speed. It builds it up in intervals. The first week, you walk for a warm-up, run/jog for 60 seconds, and walk for 90 seconds. You alternate this for about 25 minutes. The app I wrote about yesterday guides you through everything with a pleasant-sounding voice telling you when to run and when to walk. She (I haven't yet named her) even peppers your run/walk with motivation and markers like "You're halfway there!" or "Only one minute to go!"

My first step wasn't stretching, or researching running techniques or whatever. I went to my local Walmart and purchased two new pairs of Danskin Now running shorts: one pair in pink (because I'm super obsessed with it right now), and one pair in red and gray (because of my favorite Atlanta Falcons). They were supposed to help me run better, and stay dry. Who am I kidding? I am girl and every girl knows that a new pair of any clothing item makes you feel better about whatever you're about to do. My mood has been known to drastically change due to new heels, sandals, a new dress, even new undies. So I knew new shorts would help, too. PLUS they were only $7...not bad.

I realized that the main reason I've had so many issues with running or walking for fitness lately is because I chose to take the easy way. Easy way #1: treadmill. My doctor undoubtedly says this is what caused my shin splints and it is the reason it took so long to recover. Another point against the all-hailed treadmill is that thing called boredom. Every time I ran on the treadmill, I just felt like I was going nowhere; literally and figuratively. BOR-ING! Easy way #2: I ran or walked around my "scenic" apartment building complex. I would walk and walk and walk and walk and walk until I got tired and came into view of my steps. Then I would make an excuse as to why I needed to go upstairs and quit, and I did. Also, I was going nowhere. BOR-ING!

To solve this problem, I decided to set a destination. I picked a main road by my apartment and looked up how far it was to the Kroger and back. Google maps told me 1.1 miles. Fabulous. 1.1 miles there, 1.1 miles = 2.2...and that's pretty ambitious but also a definite decision. If I got halfway there and got tired (which I was unbearably tired and cramping at that point), I STILL HAD TO WALK BACK to my apartment. No easy way around it, so I might as well push on and go for it.

I texted Bestie for immediate motivation, and set out on my adventure. An hour later, I returned up the stairs to my third-floor apartment, and called Bestie smiling from ear-to-ear. My breathing was crazy and my body stank BUT I was done and felt unbelievably happy about it!

It wasn't all rainbows and butterflies. I learned several things on my first journey into the running world:

  1. I need better headphones. I just used basic ear buds and it was incredibly annoying. 
  2. I need one of those armband things for my wrist or arm. I'll be honest and say I had to put my iPhone in my bra and that was even more annoying. The app has cool features like countdowns and stuff and I like to look at it as I go to see how far I've gone and how far I have left. 
  3. I need a more efficient way to carry my water bottle. I have a fabulous Tervis water bottle  that Bestie got me for my birthday last year. It is wonderful, but I don't know if carrying it while I'm running is the best option. 
  4. That being said, I need to carry some cash with me next time. Not much, just enough for some water, should it be needed. I drank the entire 24 oz of water that my Tervis would hold before I even got halfway. I passed three gas stations, three fast-food chains, and a Kroger. I should be able to stop somewhere and get a bottle of water. Maybe my need for insane amounts of water while running will decrease, but right now I just need a plan.
  5. I need some kind of reflective material or vest to wear while running. I do not do mornings, therefore I chose to run after work. It wasn't dark when I started, but was pitch black when I got home. I wore my favorite black Atlanta Falcons shirt, my new running shorts, and black leggings because it was cold. Not my best move. 
  6. I initially started out wanting to go up one side of the street, and down the other. Bad decision. The side walk on my "up side" ran out 1/4 of the way to my destination. Who does that? Suddenly I was running in mud and yuckyness and I don't do that. Unfortunately, I had to pass the Kroger to the intersection about 0.4 miles past and cross there. Refer to earlier note: main road, incredibly busy street. I wanted to be healthy and fit not dead. Next time, I'll go up one way and down the same. Done. 
  7. My running shoes are fabulous! My parents got me Reebok Run Tones for Christmas last year, and while I've loved them the whole time, I've just recently discovered that they can be for more than the occasional dress-down day we have at work. Imagine that, you can run in them. Sidenote: I'm still the ever-faithful trend-friend-follower because Bestie has these shoes, too. Before you jump to conclusions, no I do not want to BE her (not that she's not awesome), she just comes up with fabulous ideas and gets things before I do. Thanks. 
  8. My playlist was AWESOME! I used the Songza app for iPhone. I chose the "Making New Year's Resolutions" out of the list of suggested Thursday afternoon activities. After that, I chose "Exercise More Often" since that's what I wanted to do. The next step is the last: choose the playlist...in this case, I went with "NPR's Ultimate Workout Mix" which included anyone from Kanye West and Madonna, to OutKast and The Rolling Stones. Fabulous and highly recommended. 
  9. Lastly, I CAN DO THIS! I climbed the stairs to my apartment and I felt amazing! Four hours later, as I was preparing for bed, I felt incredibly sore, but still amazing. For the first time in a very long time, I feel like I can actually stick with this. 
Let's go! 

2 comments:

  1. hey dear, congratulations!
    just wanted to tell you when you get ready for a bit more strenuous- turn right on alexandria dr.. right up off rivoli. there are various level>semi-hilly ways to go in a peaceful non-trafficky neighborhood.
    avoid lokchapee hill til later...it goes down to forest hill(and i mean HILL)

    good luck!!! proud of your motivation! love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. p/s i have a very visible bright yellow/navy fleece vest if you want it. yellow shell stops wind-light fleece> warm.

    ReplyDelete