Monday, January 7, 2013

I've Invented a Week Zero

OK, so I may be over doing it. Yes, my mother told me so. Yes, my friend said so. Yes, my coworkers said so. Did I listen? Nope.

First of all, let me start with the fact that today was my first full day back at school with the students, and I only got about 3 hours sleep last night. I was soooooooooo tired today, after work especially. I called Bestie  after work, and complained. I talked about maybe taking it easy or skipping tonight. She insisted I continue! She said that if I skip one night, I'll lose everything...and she's right. I didn't want to lose momentum. So, I pushed on, and rightfully so. No blame anywhere. I had no way of knowing anything was wrong.

I put on a particularly bright t-shirt, since it was dark outside, and set forth on day three of my program. I was doing well, alternating my jogging and walking, for about 15 minutes. That's when the pain began in my shins. I pushed through for a little while, but I had to stop and stretch some more. I stretched for a good five minutes on the sidewalk thinking maybe that would relieve the pain. I refused to believe I was experiencing shin splints again. I didn't want to stop. I didn't want this to end my productivity...even if it hasn't even been a week, yet. This time it feels different. But the fact of the matter is, I pushed too hard I think, so I've invented a week zero and I'm slowing it down. I've researched some great stretching and training techniques to help the pain, and hopefully prevent it in the future.

Get Rid of Shin Pain

Shin Splints Treatment & Prevention

I was so powered by my motivation and resolve that I guess I ignored the warnings. The thing is, my shins did not hurt until today. I was sore, sure, but definitely not in pain. How was I supposed to know it was coming.

I feel so discouraged, not going to lie. I feel so lame. I know slowing down and taking care of your body is important, and that shin splints are incredibly common, but I just can't let it stop me. I've got to do something!

I'm sorry I'm not feeling too up to writing right now. I don't have too much to share other than my painful outing tonight. I'm working on stretching and everything tonight. Maybe I'll feel better in the morning.

I can't quit. I refuse to quit. Even if all 200 pageviews here are just Bestie and my mom, someone is reading (or at least looking at) these blog posts, and that's something. Today, in class, the students and I shared New Year's Resolutions and created some together. I shared that I was planning on running a 5K in April, not just any 5K, but the Happiest 5K on the Planet! They were all so excited for me. They were so encouraging. They were concerned, and hopeful for me, too. It was adorable and inspiring. I love seventh grade.

No, I can't quit. That wouldn't be a very good message for my students. If nothing else, I have that to keep me going.

89 days until The Color Run!

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” 
― John BinghamNo Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running

No comments:

Post a Comment