Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Take it Easy

Tomorrow marks my first full week of what I've named "Operation Hot Bikini." Thanks, Bestie. Even though I've been working out only every other day, I feel good about making it a whole week on a routine. In the last seven days, I've exercised 50 minutes or more continuously for four. Even on some of those off days, I charted light walking, housework, dancing, and stretching. I feel good.

I've been stretching every day, as well as icing my shins for the pain, per the advice of a friend.

This morning, I wrapped my left shin in an ACE bandage to help with the shin pain, as I read on many websites. It felt good, but my legs still hurt.

I downloaded a stretching app called Stretch Guru that runs you through a stretching routine for about 15 minutes. It was $0.99, but I think it was worth it. It helped me extend my stretches, and I felt good going into my light workout.

I put a brace on my right knee, donned my workout clothes, and began walking. I walked a very short distance before my left leg (despite the ACE bandage) felt like it was exploding. It was burning so badly. I turned around and walked back. I only walked a half a mile. It was very discouraging, but I just could not handle it tonight. I don't know what I'm going to do. I can't, I won't, let this stop me. I can't let my momentum to exercise go away. This time feels different. I feel like I can stick it out, but HOW do I recover from this leg pain and still exercise effectively.

On my way back to my apartment, I decided to stop by the fitness room (that I've basically never used, sadly). It's incredibly small, but has all the necessary things, I guess: two treadmills, an elliptical, a bike, an ab machine, a 3-part weight-training circuit, and a variety of hand weights, as well as a TV, and a water cooler. Not bad. I figured I'm paying for it anyway, might as well use it.

There were two women on the treadmills talking up a storm, and I didn't think I could handle any more walking anyway, so I chose the low-impact workout of the elliptical. Since I walked a half mile earlier, I decided to go a half mile on the elliptical to even it out. That took about 10 minutes.

I downloaded a free app called Daily Workouts. There's a full version too for $3.99, but I'm on the basically free plan, so I didn't get that one. There are several categories to choose from (arm, abs, butt legs, and cardio), each with video guidance and a countdown timer. I picked up the smallest hand weights, I think they were 2.5 lbs, and selected arms. I used the hand weights for about 10 minutes, and did the circuit another 10 minutes. I felt better and especially so since I didn't just quit tonight. It felt good to push on, even if it was light.

I don't know what I'm going to do about this pain, or if it even gets better. I hope it does. I really want to succeed. Working out feels good (even if it is light). I felt the stresses of the day soften. I may just try to do some light work every day for a while until my shin pain goes away. Even though it was awkward and a little painful, I miss the burn and soreness I had last weekend. It felt good. It was a burn I knew meant something. I don't feel anything right now. My arms a little, tiny bit sore, but other than I don't feel anything but leg pain. I need to feel something again. It helps keep me motivated.

I have to remember those hot bikinis I'll be wearing come May! Right, Bestie?

87 days until the Color Run!

No comments:

Post a Comment