Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Going Strong (in a Different Way)

Wow! How has it been this long since I blogged? Life gets busy, right?

Well, despite the brief vacay from the blogging, I've still been exercising on schedule. I have been visiting the weight room and/or doing Zumba in my living room every other day. I feel great. My shins, however, still haven't recovered from my overzealous attitude in the beginning, so I'll just press on with my new methods.

I decided to focus on some strength training. I've been taking advantage of the workout room at my apartment complex. I've been using the stationary bike mostly, as well as the weight training circuit. My goal is 60 minutes at least 4 times a week. So far, I've kept my end of the bargain. I just need my body to respond appropriately (i.e. lose weight, get stronger, etc.).

Sunday, I mixed things up and played my Zumba 2 Wii game! I love Zumba. I'm pretty sure I look like a crazy woman, but it is in the comfort of my own living room so I don't care. Plus, I earned 5 stars on every song, thank you. I can't be doing that badly. If you have a Wii and like to dance (even if you don't), I highly recommend the Zumba line of games. Zumba Core Fitness just came out, and I may rent it on Gamefly to see how I like it. If it's anything like the one I have, I'm sure it'll be great. My sweet husband came home from his band rehearsal right in the middle of my workout. I was a tiny bit embarassed (after 6 years together, there are still some things that do it), but he went in the bedroom to watch TV until I was finished. I wish I could have convinced him to do it with me! Sidenote: we do love some Wii Sports Resort, though; we're pretty competitive.


I recently downloaded a new app (new to me) called My Fitness Pal. I know, I know, I'm behind the times a little, BUT it was just recently brought to me by a friend. It is not just a calorie counter. No! It lets you scan bar-codes to input foods, and lets you build recipes with nutritional info built in. Fabulously fun. Plus, you can add friends to help keep you motivated. The friend who told me about this app has been particularly active, so it pushes me to keep up. The app helps you set a weight goal, as well as any other fitness goals (hello, Color Run), and shows you cool updates. For example, after you complete a day of logging your food and exercise, it tells you how much weight and what your strength training will look like if you keep up your current progress. Apparently if I keep up the same pace I had today (calorie intake + exercise), I'll lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Whether it's accurate or not, it's a good motivator. I'm considering trying to get some kind of exercise every day, with an extended 60 minutes or longer workout every other day.

Even though, work has been super busy, and I've been getting home later than I'd like to, I feel amazing that I'm actually sticking with this! It's been almost 2 weeks (Thursday), and I don't feel like slowing down any time soon! Let's hope the shins heal soon!

Color Run Countdown: 11 weeks and 3 days (or just 80 days)!

Hey, that also means I have only 10 weeks and 3 days until Spring Break! Bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment